Mashed potatoes are always good, and they also can be pretty!
We like to use one purple potato to make this vegan Thanksgiving dish lavender. Feel free to use more than one purple potato for an even more dramatic color.
Purple Mashed Potatoes
1 medium purple sweet potato, peeled and cubed, about 2 cups
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed, about 5 cups
10 cloves garlic
1 can light coconut milk
2 cups vegan vegetable stock
Kosher salt, to taste
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 green onions, sliced, to garnish
Black pepper, to garnish
Pats of vegan butter, optional, to garnish
1. Add the purple and russet potatoes to a pot of salted boiling water. Boil for 15 minutes and take the pot off of the heat to allow potatoes to cool.
2. Using a spider or slotted spoon remove potatoes from the water and place them into a large bowl. Allow potatoes to cool.
3. Mash well with a fork or potato masher or add the potatoes to your food processor to blend.
4. Place the potatoes back into the large bowl you used previously. Add garlic, coconut milk, vegetable stock, salt, and nutritional yeast.
5. Place into a bowl for serving and garnish with green onions and black pepper, and if you like, pats of vegan butter.