A 16-piece box of nuggets, coming right up! Even better, these are vegan and made with smashed chickpeas. If you’d love for your family to incorporate more plant-based foods into your weekly dinner rotation, these nuggets featuring pulses are a stellar start.
Finding the right plant-based ingredient doesn’t have to break the bank. Pulses are the nutritious superfoods known as chickpeas, lentils, beans, and dry peas, and they’re an affordable source of protein, compared to many other pricey alternatives on the market. We love developing vegetarian recipes using pulses because it’s an ingredient that’s accessible for all.
Need more inspiration so that you may incorporate pulses into your cooking? Check out hundreds of recipe ideas on pulses.org!
#lovepulses #eatmorepulses #justaddpulses #halfcuphabit
Chickpea Chick’n Nuggets, sponsored by USA Pulses
1 1/2 cups chickpeas, drained
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
Ketchup, BBQ sauce, and honey mustard, for dipping
1. In a medium bowl, add the chickpeas and using a fork, roughly smash them, breaking up each chickpea.
2. To the bowl, add the vinegar, 1/2 cup flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
3. Form the mixture into 2-tablespoon nuggets.
4. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the grapeseed oil over medium heat. Add the nuggets and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
5. Using a spatula, carefully remove them from the skillet and drain them on paper towels.
6. Serve the nuggets warm alongside your choice of sauces.