Super simple and in our opinion, the best way to serve Brussels sprouts.
First, you’ll steam them in the microwave & next, sear them in a cast-iron skillet for flavor. Add in a few other key ingredients that offer sweet, savory, and smoky notes, and there you have it, a lovely vegan side dish.
Bacon-y Brussels Sprouts
1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 shallot, sliced
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
Fresh sage or flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. In microwave-safe covered dish, microwave the halved sprouts and allow them to steam, covered, for 2 minutes.
2. Put a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop until wisps of smoke appear, about 2 minutes.
3. In the skillet, sear the Brussels sprouts cut-side-down for about 2 minutes.
4. To the skillet, add the maple syrup, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, liquid smoke, black pepper, and shallot. Stir the sprouts to coat with the other ingredients and cook for 1 minute in the skillet, stirring often.
5. Garnish with hazelnuts and herbs and serve warm.