Hey, here’s to 2021!
We’re so happy to share this meal with you; we see it as a dish of tradition, both family and Southern. May the black-eyed peas bring you and your family luck, and may the greens bring prosperity for y’all in the coming year as well. Be sure to make some cornbread to go with it, too.
We cook this on New Year’s Day but also pretty much year-round, and it is definitely one of our favorites. Feel free to try it even after the new year arrives!
New Year’s Black-Eyed Peas + Collards & Hot Peppers
1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas (half the bag)
1 medium diced onion
1 1/2 cups collards, or other greens
1 Not-Beef vegetarian boullion cube
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 smoked jalapeño peppers
6 cups water
Ketchup and/or Tabasco hot sauce, for serving
Cornbread, prepared, for serving
Slow Cooker Method:
1. Place all ingredients into your slow cooker.
2. Set slow cooker on low —> high for 4 hours.
3. Remove the 2 hot peppers before serving — or offer them to someone brave enough for some serious heat!
4. Serve warm with cornbread.
1. Soak 1 1/2 cups of the beans overnight and drain.
2. Into a large pot over high heat, add the the soaked beans, onion, greens, bouillon cube, olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, dried, hot peppers, and water.
3. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 1 hour.
4. Remove the 2 hot peppers before serving — or offer them to someone brave enough for some serious heat!
5. Serve warm with cornbread.